Monday, August 28, 2006

For Hamilton, his science was inseparable not
just from his life but also from his death. He wrote a
moving article entitled "My Intended Burial and Why?",
in which he expresses his desire to have his body
dealt with thus: " I will leave a sum in my last will
for my body to be carried to Brazil and to these
forests. It will be laid out in a manner secure
against the possums and the vultures just as we make
our chickens secure; and this great Coprophanaeus
beetle will bury me. They will enter, will bury, will
live on my flesh; and in the shape of their children
and mine, I will escape death. No worm for me nor
sordid fly, I will buzz by the dusk like a huge bumble
bee".

W.D. Hamilton (1936-2000) - British evolutionary biologist

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting quote
Immortality is often a motive to study science.A hope that a lil bit of us which will transcend the barriers of mortality to find its place in the realms of what can be termed as 'scientific knowledge'.
im reminded of what einstein once said when he refused the presidency of israel.
"Politics is always for the now.Equations last forever".

10:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home